Saturday, September 20, 2008

Causey Dam Kokanee Salmon Hike....

Debbie, Brenda, Vickie, Sally and me

This week we took an early morning hike to Causey Dam. Every year in the fall the Kokanee Salmon spawn. They swim upstream to where they were born, they lay eggs, and die. It is a beautiful hike, a beautiful moment in time and one everyone needs to experience it at least once in a life time. I first heard about it from my son-in law Aaron Wolthuis. He used to take his "English as a second language" students on this hike in the fall. He has kept up that tradition as he is now teaching Spanish at SnowCrest and he takes his Spanish students as well as the science students on this hike. It is not a hard hike, but it is a beautiful hike. As you can see Causey was beautiful on this Saturday morning.





Views of the dam from the trail.


Here are some pictures of the Salmon running. Enjoy these pictures. The Salmon are from 10 - 12 inches long. The males have humps on their backs. We saw some in all stages of spawning. They are fighters as they continually swim upstream.

Kokanee Salmon




This slide show is for Carly who loves the Fall colors...

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Thanks for those wonderful pictures Colleen! I love them. I had no idea that there was even salmon up by Causey. I can't believe the leaves have already started turning color. The leaves are still as green as ever here. Hopefully that means a long fall for us! I love how you still get together with all of your friends so often. I hope that I can do the same.

Nikki said...

Beautiful pictures mom!

Carly said...

Ohhhhh.... Thanks Mommy! Hopefully they will hang around a little longer for me (the leaves - not the salmon).

Love you.

Robin said...

Maybe you should have speared a salmon for dinner. I saw how sharp your walking stick is. Yowsa! I'm surprised you haven't injured yourself. Looks like a pretty hike. Love you.

Marcy said...

Wow, you've been a busy woman! So glad you posted these pics. This is one hike I am really going to miss this year.