
This is my first blog post. Carly designed my blog and I just love it. Thanks “C”, and “thanks” to all my co-workers and children who influenced me to start a blog. And since I don’t journal either. Here goes……..
The picture that is posted is of me and my cousin Richard. I just loved that little red rocker. My Aunt Dora McKay owned a photography studio and was always taking pictures of the two of us. We were just a month apart in age. So now and again I will post one of our pictures in honor of my late Aunt Dora.
These are some things I remember about the “50’s”…………….
- Black and white TV. You could hardly see because of the “snow” and had to move the antennas or “rabbit ears” on top of the TV to get the best picture.
- "Little Rascals", "Mouseketeers", "The Lone Ranger and Tonto", “Roy Rogers and Dale Evans" [Happy Trails to You], and the “Honeymooners”…..these were shows we watched.
- My dad always liked “Lawrence Welk” and “Mitch Miller”and "Monday night fights."
- “Ed Sullivan Show” [Where I first saw “Elvis” minus the hip action], "The Art Linkletter Show”, and the“Howdy Doody Show”.
- 45 records on the old record player. “Cool Water” by the “Sons of the Pioneers” Perry Como & Nat King Cole were other 45’s I remember.
- I passed time playing "Dominoes", "Rummy", and “Sorry” with mom while she chewed on ice.
- “Evy-Ivy-over-the house” "Mother May I”, “Witch” and “Army”.
- Houses on the clothes line made from blankets and clothes pins.
- Our washer was a "wringer" and our dryer was a clothes line. There was one line down stairs in case of rain and one outside for good weather.
- Telephone“party lines” which meant that if your neighbor was on the phone, you had to wait until they were off to use it. [Which also meant you could listen in to their conversation if you were sneaky.]
- Sleeping outside a lot in the summer looking at the stars and counting the ones that fell.
- Sounds of the crickets outside at night.
- Never worried about getting kidnapped.
- Never locked our house or cars.
- Going to kindergarten and 2nd grade at the Pleasant View Church
- We said the "Lord's prayer" in school everyday.
- Always, always, put our hand over our heart during the pledge of allegiance.
- Dresses and pinafores made from flour sacks.
- Homemade clothes made by my mom.
- I had one, maybe two pairs of shoes and always went barefoot in the summer with calluses on my feet.
- Puffed Rice balls, fudge [whipped with a wooden spoon and then cooled outside in the chill of the night] were treats my mother made.
- The old black"Singer" sewing machine my mother used.
- Laying on my back on the lawn eating peaches from my dads orchard.
- Horseback riding on the "Pole Patch" with dad and uncle Mac.
- Summer Recreation with lots of crafts to do. [boondoggles]
- Helping my mother fill her "S & H green stamp" books until she had enough to go to the S & H green stamp store and redeem them.
- D & A Market where you could trade pop bottles for candy. [Dale & Audrey]
- The coal company truck delivering the coal to our coal room in the basement.
- The door bell that rang in grandma's apartment in the basement when she was wanted on the phone.
- Spring and Fall cleaning washing wall paper with this pink stuff.
- Life was so simple then...it was a simpler time.
Although I was born in the "50's" I was probably most influenced by the 60's....hmmmm another post. Would love to hear any one else's "50's" memories........Oh wait most bloggers I know weren't born yet. All I can say is write down those memories because some day, you will forget them.
6 comments:
Love it Mommy! Can't wait to read more.
The next time I see you I might ask you to repeat the Lord's Prayer, just to see if you remember. Thanks for this Mom. I believe that it is important to know your parents as people because their memories are also, in a way, our memories.
Mac
PS. what the heck is a pinafore?
I remember the S&H green stamps. I learned some new things too. I'm so glad you are doing this so I can learn more about your deep dark past. Love it and Love you!
Mom, I remember those stamps too. It seems like you redeemed some for a radio. Do you remember that? Was the place to redeem them where vintage thrift used to be on Harrison by Ogden High?
Carly, I love the header!!!! So cute! This is fun mom. Love you.
Colleen, I have always thought you were one of the neatest people I've ever met. I love your blog and am so glad that you have one. Yes, you can put me on your link list as long as it is okay that I can put you on my link list.I hope things are going well for you and we will visiting McKay Dee at the end of the month. See you soon! Amanda
I love it missy. I can't wait to read more.
Post a Comment